Originally built in about 1620, Wentworth House was probably the house of Matthew Wentworth, who married the widow of Thomas Michelbourne (d. 1632), and later belonged to James Bean (d. 1767), a returned planter of Jamaica. Bean rebuilt or remodelled the house, which retains a hand built mid 18th-century staircase and plaster work ceiling. He was a notable person and established a charity that provided two shillings a week for bread for the poor of the village, a charity that is now lost. There is a plaque commemorating this in the church opposite.
The house, with a stuccoed façade (probably Victorian along with early Victorian ornate cast gutters), was altered and enlarged again in the 19th century. It is believed the property was the home of various vicars during the 19th century, including the Rev P Loosemore in 1872.
At the turn of the 20th Century the house was owned by a member of the Sizer family, now a huge engineering company who invented the first cattle cake machine. During the Second World War the house was a red cross centre. In c.1970, it was taken over by an Evangelical charity (Summer Crusades) as a conference and retreat centre. The hotel owes much to the charity which did substantial landscaping and added the Spooner outbuildings, used at the time as a Chapel and now as the Pottery/Art Studio room.
Another makeover undertaken by Mrs & Mrs Northgraves. This steady improvement continued with Denise Whitmore and Roger Partridge installing double glazing and raised the Hotel to a commercial 4 diamond rated establishment. Over the past fifteen years Mark and Ann have made further improvements and much of the revenue generated from the Guest House goes towards renovations and maintenance.
There is a Viking burial site in the grounds. When the sheltered housing was built at the rear of the property many skeletons from Saxon burials were found presumably killed when the Vikings invaded the area in the 9th century.
Aldbrough Red cross - circa 1940
Wentworth House circa 1900
Replacing the church bells circa 1930 - these were again refurbished a few years ago and chime on the hour.